Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Streaming Music and Video Library Databases
Streaming video of performances and documentaries, including concerts, operas, ballets, and master classes by numerous performers, composers, and companies.
Met Opera on Demand: Student Access
Streaming music & video; full-length operas, including MetOpera Live in HD performances as well as telecasts and radio broadcasts back to 1936.
Alexander Street Music and Performing Arts
Streaming music & video
Western art music, opera, world music, folk, jazz, popular, ethnographic, ballet, modern dance, theater performances, documentaries, masterclasses, and more. includes Smithsonian Global Sound
streaming video; documentaries on popular, traditional, and art music from around the world; music & gender; music cognition; and other topics
Films, documentaries, masterclasses, and interviews for arts education and practitioners.
Naxos Music Library
Streaming music; Western art music
Ethnomusicology: Global Field Recordings
Streaming music; audio field recordings, interviews, film footage
Use SUMMON to Find Recordings at SU Libraries!
SUMMON, the main search box on the Libraries home page, searches:
- CDs, LPs, DVDs, and VHS in Bird Library
- Streaming audio in Naxos, Naxos Jazz, and Alexander Street
- Streaming video in Alexander Street
- Select recordings from the Belfer Audio Archive
SUMMON Search Tips:
- Choose your keywords:
- For known musical or dance works:
- Enter composer last name and main words from the work title. Add a performer name as well if desired.
- For vocal music, try entering the song/aria title in quotes. Or, do a second search for the name of the larger work (opera, musical, oratorio, etc) without the song title.
- For documentaries or to browse a specific style of music: Enter names of countries, instruments, styles, or other subject terms.
- Limit search results to content type (note: you may have to click "more" to see all the options)
- For sound recordings, choose "music recording" and "streaming audio"
- For video recordings, choose "video recording" and "streaming video"
- Use call numbers and icons to identify the type of recording and location for access.
||Call # example
||Compact Disc 12345
Request at Bird Library 3rd floor service desk (immediate retrieval, check out for 7 days)
||M 1507 .B72
||Shelved on Bird Library 4th floor
||Access on your computer
Video DVD 12345
|Request at Bird Library 3rd floor service desk (immediate retrieval, check out for 24 hours)
||Access on your computer
|Cylinders, 78s, etc.
||Request listening session from Belfer Audio Archive (wait time around 10 business days)
New Collection Spotlight
The Bell Brothers Collection of Latin American & Caribbean Recordings
Syracuse University Libraries' Special Collections Research Center (SCRC) has recently made available the first batch of recordings from their Latin American 45's collection, digitally transferred and preserved by the Belfer Audio Archive. Recordings are able to be streamed from any public workstation in Bird Library.
For more information on the collection, see the collection finding aid on the Libraries' website.
Video and sound recordings of musical works have both a recording date and a publication date. These dates can sometimes be decades apart, as recordings can be re-mastered and/or re-released multiple times in different formats (78rpm record, LP record, CD, streaming). The recording date is important to keep in mind when examining performance practice and other performance choices.
Free Streaming Ethnographic & Archival Recordings
Open Access & Royalty Free Recordings (Download & Re-Use)
SU Libraries' Archival Collections