Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Custom Data Search
This Google Custom search engine performs a search on websites that have been evaluated for their usefulness in providing data and statistics. Results will open in a new window.
Other Pages of Interest
Below are links to other pages that may be of interest to you.
Data Libraries and Repositories
- Open Data Portals - A list of over 2600 Open Data portals around the world. The list focuses on government and intergovernmental data portals using the OpenData portal software.
- Data on the Net Links to sites of numeric social science statistical data, data catalogs, data libraries, social science gateways, etc. Provided by University of California, San Diego.
- Research Resources for the Social Sciences Organized into 18 categories including general resources, reference materials, data archives, and various social sciences disciplines.
- Virtual CD-ROM/Floppy Disk Library - This web site provides public access and preservation services for the nearly 5,000 CD-ROMs, DVDs, and floppy disks distributed by the GPO under the Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP). These tangible products have been received through the FDLP since the 1980s and consist of millions of individual files containing fundamental data on economics, the environment, population, and life and physical sciences.
List of National Data Sets with Small-Area Data - This is a list of public datasets compiled by the Urban Institute from federal and nonprofit sources that have data on small areas (point-level, census tracts, zip codes, etc.). The table contains basic information and links to the websites where the data is posted. NOTE: The list is an Excel spreadsheet linked on the page; look for the "Download" link.
University Data Libraries
- UK Data Service Discover - The UK Data Service collection includes major UK government-sponsored surveys, cross-national surveys, longitudinal studies, UK census data, international aggregate, business data, and qualitative data.
- CASS CASS (Centre for Applied Social Surveys), an ESRC (Economic & Social Research Council) Resource Centre run jointly by SCPR (Social & Community Planning Research) and the University of Southampton with the University of Surrey. Offers a survey Question Bank for use by social scientists and social researchers as well as links to relevant sites.
- CESSDA Home page of CESSDA (Council of European Social Science Data Archives). Includes access to catalogs of member organizations and a clickable map of Social Science Data Archives all over the world.
- UK Data Archive - UK’s largest collection of digital social and economic research data
- Social Science Data Archives From the Australian National University.
- NOAA Research Home Page NOAA Research, conducted primarily through the NOAA Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research, drives the NOAA environmental products and services that protect life and property and promote sustainable economic growth. Research, conducted by in-house laboratories and by extramural programs, focuses on enhancing our understanding of environmental phenomena such as tornadoes, hurricanes, climate variability, solar flares, changes in the ozone, El Nino/La Nina events, fisheries productivity, ocean currents, deep sea thermal vents, and coastal ecosystem health.
- Center for International Earth Science Information Network (CIESIN) is a center within the Earth Institute at Columbia University. CIESIN works at the intersection of the social, natural, and information sciences, and specializes in on-line data and information management, spatial data integration and training, and interdisciplinary research related to human interactions in the environment.
- NASA's Earth Science Enterprise (ESE) has nine discipline-specific data centers that process, archive, document, and distribute data from NASA's Earth observing satellites and field measurement programs.
- The Federation of Earth Science Information Partners maintains over 3,500 Earth Science datasets. Every one is available to scientists, educators, policy makers, students, and the general public. The vast majority of the data is free.
- British Geological Survey Information and Data page has links to data catalogues and organizations