Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Library Databases for IPA & Word-by-Word Translation
Lyric diction resource providing access to phonetic transcriptions (IPA), translations, text readings, diction information, and video tutorials.
Searchable International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) transcriptions and translations of opera arias and art song texts. Includes searchable texts in Latin, Italian, German and French from many composers.
Don't see the song or aria you need in Diction Police or IPA Source? Take a look in the Bird Library reference section by browsing the PDF below.
Libretti, Lyrics and Scripts at SU Library
The SU Libraries has many books with song lyrics by various pop and folk artists, as well as a collection of opera libretti and musical scripts.
Search the library catalog:
Opera libretti & Musical scripts
- search for the title of the opera or musical and the subject keyword "librettos"
- or, browse class ML50 by composer, or browse ML49 for collections
- Musicals & operas are both considered stage shows and are alphabetized together
- search for the composer or artist name and the subject keyword "texts"
- Browse class ML54.6 for some collections
Choral Text Translation
Translations and Annotations of Choral Repertoire
, translated and annotated by Gordon Paine
Art Song & Aria Texts -- Free on the Web