Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Research Tools
Researchers may find the following tools useful in their work. Emphasis is given to free (or at least having free components) and online tools or services.
Electronic Lab Notebooks:
- ELN at Harvard Medical School - The Electronic Lab Notebook Matrix has been created to aid researchers in the process of identifying a usable Electronic Lab Notebook solutions to meet their specific research needs. Through this resource, researchers can compare and contrast the numerous solutions available today, and also explore individual options in-depth.
- RSpace - An ELN for researchers to organize, manage and collaborate on their projects.
- Hivebench - Biology-focused experiment, lab and project management.
- Docollab - Project management system, collaboration.
- Benchling - Life Sciences focused experiment, lab and project management.
- TableauPublic - Free version of their desktop and online data visualization platform. All data uploaded to TableauPublic is available to everyone on the Internet. The paid versions allow restricted access.
- StatCrunch - Simple online data analysis and survey package.
- Dataviz - Data visualization for time, geographic and comparative data.
- OpenRefine - Data cleaning and exploration tool.
Directories of Research Tools:
Books and Journals on Data Visualization
- Atlas of Science: Visualizing What We Know, by Katy Borner; MIT Press, 2010
- Computing and Visualization in Science (journal)
- Data Insights: New Ways to Visualize and Make Sense of Data, by Hunter Whitney; Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2013
- Infographics: The Power of Visual Storytelling, by Jason Lankow, Josh Ritchie and Ross Crooks; John Wiley and Sons, 2012
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Analytics & Data Visualization, by Doug Harts, Jim Dugan and Tricia Wilcox Almas; McGraw-Hill/Osborne, 2011
- Sage Handbook of Visual Research Methods, Sage, 2011.
- Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information, by Manual Lima; Princeton Architectural Press, 2011
- Visualization of Time-Oriented Data, Springer, 2011.
- Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics, by Nathan Yau; John Wiley and Sons, 2011
- Visualizing Data - A collection of some of the most important, effective, useful and practical data visualisation tools. Includes tools for working with colour, packages for handling data, places to obtain data, the most influential books and educational programmes and qualifications in visualisation itself.
GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
Information about visualizing geographic data is available on this GIS guide.
Visualization in the news