Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Research Tools
Researchers may find the following tools useful in their work. Emphasis is given to free (or at least having free components) and online tools or services.
Electronic Lab Notebooks:
- ELN at Harvard Medical School - The Electronic Lab Notebook Matrix has been created to aid researchers in the process of identifying a usable Electronic Lab Notebook solutions to meet their specific research needs. Through this resource, researchers can compare and contrast the numerous solutions available today, and also explore individual options in-depth.
- RSpace - An ELN for researchers to organize, manage and collaborate on their projects.
- Hivebench - Biology-focused experiment, lab and project management.
- Docollab - Project management system, collaboration.
- Benchling - Life Sciences focused experiment, lab and project management.
- TableauPublic - Free version of their desktop and online data visualization platform. All data uploaded to TableauPublic is available to everyone on the Internet. The paid versions allow restricted access.
- StatCrunch - Simple online data analysis and survey package.
- Dataviz - Data visualization for time, geographic and comparative data.
- OpenRefine - Data cleaning and exploration tool.
Directories of Research Tools:
REDCap is an online application for building and deploying databases and surveys. REDCap is available to all Syracuse University faculty. REDCap can be accessed at https://redcap.syr.edu/.
REDCap uses a two-step verification process to login. One method is to have a temporary verification code emailed to you each time you login. The other is to use the Google Authenticator app on your smartphone. Google authenticator is available for free through the iTunes and Google Play stores. To get an account, please contact the REDCap Administrator. We also have instructions for backing up and restoring your REDCap projects, also courtesy of ITS.
REDCap has several training videos available from the Help link in REDCap. There is also the REDCap Community Website with several discussion groups. Other REDCap users and administrators have shared their training materials as well. The University of Colorado at Denver has several REDCap tutorial videos.