1. Develop a topic, based on your knowledge or skills, or research:
ex. sex trafficking
2. Ask yourself basic questions about your topic. The questions may start with;
ex. Who are the victims? Where is sex trafficking most prevalent?
3. From those questions, develop key words or terms
ex. prostitution, human trafficking, slavery, globalization, child pornography
4. Use those terms when searching tools such as Library catalogs, databases, or Google or Google Scholar.
5. You may want to get general, background information on your topic if you know very little about it.
ex. Encyclopedias, books, reviews of the literature, etc.
6. Finding sources in various formats on your topic
ex. Electronic sources, printed materials, microforms
7. Current scholarship, including peer-reviewed research on your topic.
8. Statistical sources
Questions you should ask of every source you find
Point of View (Bias)