Researchers may find the following tools useful in their work. Emphasis is given to free (or at least having free components) and online tools or services.
Electronic Lab Notebooks:
- Electronic Lab Notebooks - Guide for prospective users; Information for researchers who are interested in adopting an Electronic Lab Notebook system for documenting research and managing data.
- ELN at Harvard Medical School - The Electronic Lab Notebook Matrix has been created to aid researchers in the process of identifying a usable Electronic Lab Notebook solutions to meet their specific research needs. Through this resource, researchers can compare and contrast the numerous solutions available today, and also explore individual options in-depth.
- RSpace - An ELN for researchers to organize, manage and collaborate on their projects.
- Hivebench - Biology-focused experiment, lab and project management.
- Docollab - Project management system, collaboration.
- Benchling - Life Sciences focused experiment, lab and project management.
- TableauPublic - Free version of their desktop and online data visualization platform. All data uploaded to TableauPublic is available to everyone on the Internet. The paid versions allow restricted access.
- StatCrunch - Simple online data analysis and survey package.
- Open HeatMap - Use spreadsheets from excel or Google to create maps and publish on the web.
- Dataviz - Data visualization for time, geographic and comparative data.
- OpenRefine - Data cleaning and exploration tool.
Directories of Research Tools: